Hiawatha Community Hospital is accepting applications for 2 full time Medical Laboratory Scientists to perform various chemical, microscopic, and bacteriologic tests to obtain data for the use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Positions consist of full time night shift hours.
Hours: Position 1: Monday - Thursday 8:00 pm - 6:30 am (4 10-hour shifts per week) Position 2: Friday - Sunday 6:00 pm - 6:00 am (3 12-hour weekend shifts per week)
NO ON-CALL OR HOLIDAY HOURS REQUIRED.
1. Perform specimen collection to include phlebotomy, cultures and arterial punctures for all age groups.
2. Evaluate integrity of specimens received from sources outside of the laboratory.
3. Follow department and hospital policies and procedures.
4. Must be able to verbalize instructions to patients regarding specimen collection.
5. Maintain and trouble shoot lab equipment.
6. Perform and document calibration and quality control of all laboratory equipment.
7. Answer telephone and verbalize patient reports.
8. Travel to other facilities for specimen collection (i.e. nursing homes)
9. Deliver reports to the clinics and nursing homes.
10. Interpret laboratory results for accuracy.
11. Forward reports to the ordering physician and any agency requested by the ordering physician.
12. Assemble medical records for outpatients for coding in HIM.
13. Participate in proficiency testing and competency evaluation.
14. Be able to rotate in all areas of lab.
15. Participate in call rotation.
16. Participate in evaluation of new methodologies, procedures, and instrumentation.
17. Participate in orientation and training of new lab personnel.
18. Cross-train in EKG and Histology
19. Perform other functions as assigned by supervisor or medical director
Must qualify as a Medical Technologist or Technician according to CLIA 88 standards. Must have earned bachelor’s degree (Technologist) or associate’s degree (Technician) in medical technology, chemical, physical or biological sciences. Preferred certification by ASCP or equivalent.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with experience
Internal Number: 100
About Hiawatha Community Hospital
Located in Hiawatha, Kansas, the Hiawatha Community Hospital is a rural 25 bed critical access hospital that prides itself on being progressive and providing high quality patient care. Hiawatha Community Hospital is rich in history and community pride. Built in 1951 from donations from local citizens and it has continued today community owned without any tax subsidies. The hospital has gone through many additions and renovations with our last major renovation being the new family practice clinic and outpatient service area in May 2011. The Hiawatha Community Hospital has prospered in the past because of planning by our community board members and the generosity of citizens has allowed us to afford the needed technology to offer the quality healthcare our patients expect.