Full-time, day shift. Mon-Fri, rotating weekends/holidays/call. Location: Anatomic Pathology
The Registered Histotechnician is responsible for specimen accessioning, grossing of bone marrow biopsies and gastrointestinal biopsies (GI) under the supervision of a pathologist, tissue processing , embedding, microtomy, H&E staining, coverslipping, frozen section protocols, cryotomy, cytology protocols, special stain procedures, gross specimen photography, specimen archive and disposal, assisting with autopsies as needed, and adhering to safe work practices.
1. Demonstrates the histology technical skills and general laboratory skills required. Demonstrates microtomy skills for surgical, biopsy (serial section) and autopsy blocks. Embedding orientation and tissue identification skills. Cryosectioning, in frozen section lab and histology lab. Cytospin and cell block preparations. Gross descriptions of bone marrow and gastrointestinal biopsy specimens. Hematoxylin and Eosin staining, quality and consistency. Complex special stains. Immunofluorescence, Immunoperoxidase, automated and manual methods. Muscle histochemistry procedures. Mainatains a clean and safe work space. Maintains and uses equipment according to written protocols. Participates with general laboratory support and maintenance duties (general laboratory cleaning, stocking supplies, frozen section room maintenance, H&E station maintenance, wet tissue disposal, -80?C freezer archive, paraffin block filing, daily and archive, block archive retrieval, chemical waste disposal. Performs other duties as assigned
2. Demonstrates knowledge of and upholds applicable laws and regulations related to position. Wears / uses personal protective equipment as appropriate for the work area or task performed? Performs quality control procedures as required and documents / notifies manager with out of control results. Performs and documents daily, weekly and monthly tasks where appropriate. Assists Manager and Chief with QA projects and monitors. Reviews and signs all applicable manuals on an annual basis: Safety, LIS and technical procedure manuals. Attends continuing education programs and meets the department requirements of 4 hours of CE per year
3. Demonstrates clerical accuracy and computer skills required in the laboratory. Verifies patient information accurately using the requisition form and specimen container. Accessions specimens promptly and accurately into the computer system following LIS procedures. Labels cassettes and slides accurately and writing is legible
4. Demonstrates the anatomic technical skills and knowledge required in the autopsy suite. Knowledge of anatomy and dissection procedures. Ability to perform photography of body, organs, and pertinent items. Autopsy prosection including external exam, in situ organ inspection, evisceration, organ dissection and data recording for the gross findings. Assure proper restoration of the body for acceptable release to the funeral director. Performs other duties as assigned
5. Demonstrates the ability to communicate with staff, patients, parents and clients. Demonstrates the ability to present information in a clear, concise effective manner either oral or written. Ability to facilitate activities as required. Maintains and fosters interpersonal relationships with both internal and external customers. Ability to adapt and change manner of communication style to various cultural differences. Believes in and practices good teamwork6. Demonstrates the ability to provide feedback that is useful and assists in individual improvement. Trains registered and non-registered technicians in Histology theory and technical procedures. Informs laboratory personnel of pertinent changes in laboratory procedures. When assisting an individual provides feedback in a courteous manner that is useful and will assist individual development7. Demonstrates the ability to make determinations regarding course of action and alternatives. Recognizes and resolves problems in a timely manner, seeks out additional resources as needed, with minimal interruption to the user. Demonstrate the ability to adjust to change, handle interruptions, and continue to function effectively with changing circumstances
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Registered HT (ASCP) or MLT(ASCP) or high school graduate with advanced science or laboratory education.
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to stand for more than 1 hour at a time, sit for more than 1 hour at a time. Good visual and auditory acuity. Full use of hands and arms. Ability to speak clearly. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds occasionally. Exposure to biohazard and chemical agents. Must be able to tolerate personal protective equipment. Exposure to body organs, limbs, corpses The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Internal Number: 13546
About Nationwide Children's Hospital
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud.