Bayhealth is Central and Southern Delaware's largest health care system, Bayhealth is comprised of Bayhealth Kent Campus, Bayhealth Sussex Campus, the freestanding Emergency Department in Smyrna as well as numerous satellite facilities and employed physician practices encompassing a variety of specialties.
The Histotechnician prepares slides for histologic and cytologic diagnosis utilizing paraffin, frozen section, microtomy, cytospin, and other appropriate techniques. Prepares and performs routine and special stains and histochemical procedures. Performs data entry and maintains records such as accession logs, workload, and quality control. Maintains slide and block files, matches slides and reports and trouble shoots and resolves inquiries and problems. The Histotechnician may assist the Pathologist with autopsies and by performing gross descriptions on specific surgical specimens. Under the general supervision of a Section Supervisor and/or Pathologist, the Histology Technician performs all histology procedures in a prompt, accurate, and reliable manner according to established hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
Route 1. Successful completion of an NAACLS accredited HT/HLT program.
Route 2. At least 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of academic credit from a regionally accredited college/university, with a combination of 12 semester hours (18 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry (must include credit hours in both), or an associate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, with a combination of 12 semester hours (18 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry(must include credit hours in both), AND one year full time acceptable experience in a histopathology (clinical, veterinary, industry or research) laboratory in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years.
Route 3: "On the Job" training for incumbents in position prior to 2005.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
· Normal color perception
· Basic computer literacy
· Fluently speaks, reads and writes in the English language
· Strong learning and memory skills; ability to process verbal communications efficiently
· Ability to collect data, problem solve, establish facts, and draw conclusions
· Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency or critical situations
· Ability to perform a variety of duties and multi-task, without loss of efficiency or composure
· Ability to clearly communicate, present ideas, facts, and clinical information
· Must be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
· Ability to maintain interpersonal relationships, facilitating task accomplishments, cooperating and resolving conflicts, recognizing needs and being sensitive to others.
Bayhealth’s mission is to strengthen the health of our community, one life at a time. As central and southern Delaware’s largest healthcare system, Bayhealth is comprised of Bayhealth Hospital, Kent Campus and Bayhealth Milford Memorial, the freestanding Emergency Department in Smyrna as well as numerous satellite facilities and employed physician practices encompassing a variety of specialties. Bayhealth is a technologically advanced not-for-profit healthcare system with more than 3,700 employees and a medical staff of more than 400 physicians. Bayhealth is an affiliate of Penn Medicine for Heart and Vascular, Cancer and Orthopaedics. In Fiscal Year 2017, Bayhealth recorded 94,223 emergency department visits, 18,760 patients admitted to beds, 2,212 births, and provided $49.5 million in unreimbursed care to patients.