Location: Valhalla, New York
The Histology Technician prepares surgical, grossing area, and autopsy specimens, biopsies and slides for microscopic study of tissues or organisms by the Pathologist. The Histology Technician labels slides, enters information into automated systems, and operates and gathers pertinent information for reports. They perform tasks under strict guidelines and regulations of the New York State Department of Health and other regulatory agencies.
- Prepares grossing area and specimens for pathologist.
- Prepares and performs routine biological staining techniques.
- Assists Pathologist with setting up surgical specimens, gross description, etc.
- Prepares tissue specimens for routine and special procedures for Pathologist.
- Embeds, cuts, and stains tissue for histologic examination.
- Prepares frozen sections.
- Maintains and operates equipment and instruments.
- Records and files findings as directed.
- Maintains all records, updates, and standard operating procedures, as required by New York State Department of Health regulations.
- Enters information such as demographics and order numbers into automated systems.
- Attends pertinent seminars to remain abreast of methodology and instrumentation in the field.
- Effectively uses automated systems to perform work assignments.
Three years of experience where the primary function of the position was performing histologic procedures in a hospital or health care setting or in a pathology lab.
High School diploma or equivalent. College preferred.
Licenses / Certifications:
License and current registration as a Certified Histological Technician, Pathologists' Assistant, Clinical Laboratory Technician, or Clinical Laboratory Technologist issued by the New York State Education Department.
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC