Location: Elkton, Maryland
Do you want to work at one of the top 100 hospitals in the nation?
Life is full of choices, and whom you work for is one of life's most important decisions. ChristianaCare is ranked as one of the top 100 hospitals in the nation and has earned national recognition for excellence. Choose an organization that provides career advancement and the opportunity to impact health.
ChristianaCare has an opportunity for a Histology Technician to work at our Union Hospital campus location on the day shift.
As the Histology Technician you will process anatomic pathology specimens and prepare tissue blocks and slides for Pathologists.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Verifies accuracy of specimen identification, accessions cases/specimens and maintains appropriate records
- Processes and embeds tissue specimens
- Cuts tissue blocks and coverslips slides
- Performs routine and special stains
- Assists in preparation of frozen sections and performs special procedures
- Performs routine maintenance on equipment
- Organizes and presents completed cases accurately and according to all time schedules
- Answers the telephone and follows through on all inquiries and requests in a timely manner or escalates appropriately
- Assists with training of new employees and students
Education and experience requirements:
- Associates Degree as Histotechnician; or
- Associates Degree (curriculum to include 12 semester hours of chemistry and biology); and at least one year of recent full time work experience in an accredited histopathology laboratory (in the last five years)
- ASCP certification required
- Knowledge of Histology laboratory techniques and procedures
- Knowledge of laboratory techniques for safety, infection control, and quality assurance
- Skill in manual dexterity and normal color vision
- Skill in the use of manual and automated equipment
Incredible Work/Life benefits including medical/dental/ vision insurance coverage on your first day of employment, paid PTO, retirement plans, twelve weeks of paid parental leave, annual membership to care.com, access to backup care services for dependents through Care@Work, retirement planning services, financial coaching, fitness and wellness reimbursement, and great discounts through several vendors for hotels, rental cars, theme parks, shows, sporting events, movie tickets and much more!
If you 're inspired to make a difference, we invite you to become a ChristianaCare caregiver!