Location: Yuma, Arizona
Internal Number: 19638313
Working with a team of professionals who consistently raise the bar and look for process improvement opportunities, the Laboratory at YRMC offers a diverse workforce and the ability to work in all specialties within the lab. Our Laboratory Director speaks to the positivity of the culture and the future state-of-the-art laboratory that is anticipated to begin being built in 2021. We are excited to see the future of the lab and would invite you to interview and see if where we are going may be a fit for you!
The Pathology Assistant works under the overall supervision of the Laboratory Services leadership and the Medical Director of Laboratory Services assisting pathologists in the receipt, organization of surgical tissue specimens, autopsies, and assures and logs specimens appropriately, processes and disposes in a timely safe manner.
- Performs gross examination of surgical, biopsy, and cytology specimens to include dictation, complete dissection, selection and submission of tissue sections for microscopic examination, and assists with autopsies as needed; Produces legible and accurate work.
- Assures appropriate specimen accessioning and labeling, photographs pertinent specimens, and performs frozen sections procedures during intraoperative consultations; Selects appropriate ancillary testing and performs specialized procedures as requested.
- Assists in training of surgical pathology techniques and procedures to pathology technicians; Trains histotechnologists qualified to perform complex testing in the grossing of simple specimens. Creates, tracks and monitors training program.
- Collaborates with Information Technology, nursing services, ancillary departments, and physicians to determine pathology information system needs and objectives to include integration, build, implementation, upgrades, maintenance and connectivity with enterprise system.
- Plans and directs Pathology Information systems administration, training, and establishes standards in collaboration with Director of Laboratory Services and Medical Director participating in QA/QC audits.
- Maintains responsibility for slide scanning systems and integration of present and future remote pathology diagnostic systems; Monitors regulatory compliance for these systems and designs workflows and systems to maintain compliance and patient safety.
- Participates in continual quality improvements, Department of Pathology, Tumor Board which includes assisting with the scanning and selection of slides, and collaboratively partners with the system wide healthcare team including establishing annual measurable objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- ASCP - PA
Work Schedule: 8-hours, Days, Varied
Physical Requirements and working conditions for this position will be provided to you upon interview.